Download our poster to see more about some of the new initiatives we introduced in 2017/18, and some of the figures for usage of our services.
Subscribe to library updates
- Medicinal cannabis: 'Patients still in limbo'It could take years for patients to get medicinal cannabis on the NHS, a parliamentary committee has heard.
- Communication at infection outbreak hospital 'not great'MSPs are told of communication issues between infection control nurses and maintenance staff at an outbreak-hit Glasgow hospital.
- Majorca in drive to rein in boozy touristsTourist haunts that run drink promotions face fines in the resort city of Palma, as do rowdy visitors.
- Woman in China nearly dies after injecting herself with fruit juiceThe woman in China suffered liver, kidney, heart and lung damage and spent days in intensive care.
- First weight-loss surgery unit planned for Northern IrelandThe estimated costs of people being obese and overweight in Northern Ireland is £457m a year.
- NHS ChoicesHealth A-Z Symptoms, conditions, medicines, treatments and guides Find conditions and treatments Live well Articles, videos and tools from the NHS on more than 100 topics, including alcohol, diet, fitness, tiredness and weight loss, giving you and your family tips on healthy living. Visit healthy living information Common Health Questions A comprehensive list of common […]
- Cancer treatment response may be affected by gut bacteria"Gut bacteria 'boost' cancer therapy," BBC News reports. The news comes from research into whether people with cancer might respond differently to cancer treatment depending on the bacteria in their gut. Researchers specifically looked at a type of cancer treatment called immunotherapy. This involves stimulating the immune system to attack cancerous cells – in this […]
- Could a blood test in middle age predict dementia risk?"Tissue inflammation blood test points to dementia risk," is the headline in The Times. Researchers in the US say people who have higher measures of inflammation in middle age are likely to have less brain tissue in some parts of their brain in older age. The differences in brain volume, seen on MRI scans, were […]
- Acid reflux drugs linked to increased stomach cancer risk"A drug commonly used to treat acid reflux is linked to a more than doubled risk of developing stomach cancer," reports The Guardian. Researchers wanted to investigate whether there's a link between medicines known as proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) and stomach cancer. Widely used PPIs include esomeprazole, lansoprazole, omeprazole, pantoprazole and rabeprazole. PPIs are used […]
- Nutrient drink for Alzheimer's has disappointing result in trialA new study investigating the effects of a nutrient drink for Alzheimer's disease has led to very different headlines in the media. While BBC News tells us the "Alzheimer's nutrient drink falters in clinical trial", the Daily Mirror reports the drink "could help stave off Alzheimer's disease, according to scientists". The trial investigated the effects […]