Epidemiology, Incidence and Outcomes from Male breast cancer in Mid and South Essex (2021)

Type of publication:
Conference abstract

Author(s):
Alkistawi F.E.; Qavi Q.; Omotara L.; Asaad A.; Salih A.; Chicken W.; Elamass M.; Cathcart P.; Venkat S.E.; Syed A.; Barron M.; *Khan K.; Deniz E.; Abduljawad N.; Aladili Z.; Ozua P.; Idaewor P.; Uddin A.; Rasheed N.; Abdalla Al-Zawi A.S.

Citation:
European Journal of Surgical Oncology; Feb 2021; vol. 47 (no. 2)

Abstract:
Background: Breast Cancer is the most common cancer in the United Kingdom and the second most common cancer in the world. Male breast cancer (MBC) is rare, but reported to account for <1 % of all breast cancer cases and 1% of all male malignancies. The management protocols for male breast cancer are largely derived from the evidence in female breast cancer management.In this study we analysed all MBC within our region presenting over a 6 year period. We are reporting the incidence, clinico-pathological features, management and outcomes of MBC patient treated in 3 breast centres serving the Mid and South Essex region of England. Material(s) and Method(s): Retrospective multicentre review of all the male breast cancer patients presented between 2014 and 2019, in Basildon Hospital, Broomfield Hospital & Southend Hospital. We identified 44 patients and collected data from their clinical records. Data related to patients’ age, risk factors, histopathology,surgical treatment, adjuvant treatment and survival were analysed. Result(s): Out of 6952 cases of breast cancer diagnosed between 2014 and 2019, 44 cases of male breast cancer were identified which represents 0.63% of all cases. This lies within the international figures of incidence of male breast cancer. The age group ranged between 43 &96 years with higher incidence on the 9th decade of life. Family history was significantly linked to MBC,in our study and it was observed in 31% of cases.Smoking association with male breast cancer needs to be further assessed in a larger study as in our study group only 3 patients were actively smoking, though another 9 were ex-smokers, this gives a total of 25% of cases associated with smoking history.As for female breast cancer, Invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) is the most common encountered histological subtype (77%), though other histopathologic subtypes were recorded including invasive lobular carcinoma (4.5%), tubular (4.5%), papillary carcinoma (4.5%) Combined IDC & ILC (2.5%) and DCIS (7%).The receptor status is comparable to the reported figures except for the triple negative cancers which showed a higher rate 6.5% compared to less than 1% rate in documented literature. Mastectomy and sentinel node biopsy remains the main line of treatment, though management with hormonal manipulation only was undertaken in 20% of patients due to frailty or metastatic disease. At a median follow-up of 3 years, 11 patients had died, but only 3 deaths were caused by breast cancer, the mortality rate in our cohort was 25%; however the MBC specific mortality in the cohort was only 6.8%. Conclusion(s): Male breast cancer is rare. It maybe associated with late presentation and less favorable outcomes. Public and health professional education is recommended to enable early disease detection. Multi-centre collaboration is suggested to allow access to a larger database for research to determine the risk factors, optimum treatment and outcomes.