To locate journal articles, a good place to start is the Healthcare Databases Advanced Search (HDAS) system.
HDAS includes the following databases:
- AMED (Allied and Complementary Medicine)
- BNI (British Nursing Index)
- CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature)
- EMBASE (Drugs and pharmacology, other aspects of human medicine)
- Health Business Elite
- HMIC (Health Management Information Consortium)
- Medline (General medical database)
- PsycINFO (Psychology and allied fields)
An NHS OpenAthens account is required to search these databases
Alternatively, you can also use the OmniSearch ‘Article’ search tab to perform simple searches covering Medline, CINAHL and Health Business Elite only.
More databases are available, and you can find out more by visiting the Journal Article section of the Knowledge Navigator. The Knowledge Navigator also includes advice on locating specific types of evidence, such as systematic reviews, RCTs and qualitative research.
Still struggling to find articles? You could Request a Literature Search.
To help you locate the information you need quickly and effectively, it is important that you plan your search and use the search tools provided by each database. We can provide help and training on all of the available databases.