We can help you make more effective use of a wide range of information resources, whether you're looking for evidence to support patient care, carry out research, or complete coursework.
Information skills training
We offer training for groups or individuals, in the libraries or at your workplace and also offer a timetable of training events.
Searching the literature using CINAHL and Medline via EBSCO
Learn how to effectively search the healthcare journal literature using CINAHL and Medline via the EBSCO interface. The training is open to all staff, but is mainly aimed at nurses, midwives and allied health staff.
- 22nd Feb 2-3.30, IT Training Room, Shrewsbury Health Library, RSH
- 20th Apr 2-3.30, Microsoft Teams
- 24rd May 10-11.30, IT Training Room, Shrewsbury Health Library, RSH
Searching the literature using Medline and EMBASE via Ovid
Learn how to effectively search the healthcare journal literature using Medline and EMBASE via the Ovid interface. The training is open to all staff, but is mainly aimed at doctors.
- 3rd Feb 10-11.30, Microsoft Teams
- 15th Mar 10-11.30, IT Training Room, Shrewsbury Health Library, RSH
- 4th May 9-10.30, Microsoft Teams
- 15th Jun 2-3.30, IT Training Room, Shrewsbury Health Library, RSH
To book a place, visit the SaTH Learning Made Simple website (search for 'library) or contact Jason Curtis in the Shrewsbury Health Library on 01743 492511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You'll need a free NHS OpenAthens account to access the databases.
Can't make any of these sessions? We can still offer one-to-one training sessions in person or over Microsoft Teams - contact us for more details.
See our separate page for Critical Appraisal.
NHS Knowledge and Library Hub
Download our guide to Searching the NHS Knowledge and Library Hub or watch our YouTube bite-sized video.
Guides to other resources
- Accessing UpToDate | YouTube bite-sized video
- Accessing BMJ Best Practice
- Finding the Full-Text of Journal Articles | YouTube bite-sized video
- Using OmniSearch
- Search operators in bibliographic databases
- Searching Medline and CINAHL via EBSCO
- Searching Healthcare Databases using Ovid
- Searching the TRIP Database
- Searching PubMed
- Searching the Cochrane Library
- Searching the ERIC Database
Staffordshire University referencing resources
- Staffordshire University RefZone
- RefWorks and other tools
- Harvard referencing - guides and examples. A detailed guide to referencing many sources of information.
Keele University referencing resources
- RefWorks reference management software
Lots of information on how to use RefWorks, including video tutorials
General Referencing resources
- ICMJE Sample References
- Citing Medicine
National Library of Medicine's Style Guide for authors, editors, and publishers