We can help you make more effective use of a wide range of information resources, whether you’re looking for evidence to support patient care, carry out research, or complete coursework.
We can offer IT support for library PCs and printing, and at Shrewsbury we have a dedicated IT Support Officer.
For training on Microsoft Office systems, SaTH staff have access to online training packages through the IT Skills Pathways.
Staffordshire University students
We can answer many enquiries at the library enquiry desk, but for more in-depth support, we have two members of staff who can help by appointment.
- Shaun Coates, Academic Skills Tutor Librarian, is usually at Shrewsbury on Mondays for drop-in or support by appointment. For more information and contact details or to book an appointment, see Shaun’s page on the Staffordshire University website. Shaun can help you with library research skills – locating books, eBooks, eJournals, eNewpapers, subject database searches and finding quality webpages for your assignment.
- Liz Tomkinson, Academic Skills Tutor (Study Skills) is at Shrewsbury on Fridays. For more information and contact details, or to book an appointment, see Liz’s page on the Staffordshire University website. Liz can help with improving academic writing, studying effectively, and using website resources.
Information skills training
We can offer training for groups or individuals, in the libraries or at your workplace. Please contact us to arrange training.
We also offer timetabled training sessions, and these can be found in the Library Calendar.
Staffordshire University referencing resources
- Staffordshire University RefZone
- RefWorks and other tools
- Harvard referencing – guides and examples. A detailed guide to referencing many sources of information.
Keele University referencing resources
- RefWorks reference management software
Lots of information on how to use RefWorks, including video tutorials
General Referencing resources
- ICMJE Sample References
- Citing Medicine
National Library of Medicine’s Style Guide for authors, editors, and publishers
Free reference manager package
See our separate page for Critical Appraisal.
NHS Healthcare Databases
Many databases are available to help you locate articles and other information. Help and training is available, and a selection of our guides is available below.
- Searching NICE Evidence
- Searching the TRIP Database
- Searching PubMed
- Searching the Cochrane Library
- Searching the ERIC Database